Exclusive news and research on the wine, spirits and beer business

News Briefs for November 14, 2012

November 14, 2012

Chivas Regal has inked a partnership with actor Adam Rodriguez for an online and events campaign meant to celebrate the brand’s “core values of brotherhood, honor and success.” His first appearance for the collaboration will be at Chivas Regal’s 1801 pop-up club in New York City on November 19 and in Miami on December 12. The 1801 Club, now in its second year, will host tastings and lifestyle events in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas and Houston through next March. Chivas Regal saw U.S. volume decline last year by 1.3% to 395,000 nine-liter cases, according to Impact Databank.

Kendall-Jackson winery has launched a new, digitally-focused campaign in the U.S. under the tagline “Goes Well With Friends.” As part of the push, Kendall-Jackson has launched the K-J Recommends free mobile app, which provides wine suggestions from a team of experts—including the winery’s winemaster, executive chef and wine educator, among others—as well as food and wine pairings and social media components. One of the leading super-premium California wine brands in the U.S., Kendall-Jackson was up 3.3% last year to 2.97 million cases, according to Impact Databank.

•Napa Valley’s Frank Family Vineyards has acquired Rutherford, California-based Wood Ranch Vineyard Estate for an undisclosed sum. Established in 1917, Wood Ranch had previously been family-owned and operated for three generations. The 87-acre property includes 70 acres of vineyard, 80% of which is planted to Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot, Petite Sirah, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Zinfandel. The remaining 20% is planted to Chardonnay. In addition to Wood Ranch, Frank Family Vineyards owns Lewis Vineyard in Napa Carneros and S&J Vineyard in Capell Valley. The Frank Family portfolio, which focuses primarily on premium Napa Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay, is currently distributed across all 50 states.

•Carson, California-based GoPouch Beverages has launched its Croctails wine-based cocktail pouches in the U.S. market. The 9.9%-abv cocktails are available in 375-ml. ($2.99) single-unit pouches in four flavors—Golden Margarita, Strawberry Daiquiri, Mojito and Sweet Tea Lemonade. They will initially be available in Michigan (through Great Lakes Wine & Spirits), Arizona (Alliance Beverage Distributing Co.), Oklahoma (Jarboe & Central), Tennessee (Southwestern Distributing), and Indiana and South Carolina (Republic National Distributing Co.). National distribution is expected early next year. GoPouch Beverages—led by industry veterans James Moeller, Mark Newman and Henri Luc-Martin—also owns the MiniBar brands of cocktails and spirits.


Subscribe to Shanken News Daily’s Email Newsletter, delivered to your inbox each morning.

Tagged :

Get your first look at 2017 data and 2018 projections for the wine and spirits industries. Order your 2018 Impact Databank Reports. Click here.

Previous :  Next :