Exclusive news and research on the wine, spirits and beer business

News Briefs for March 2, 2016

March 2, 2016

•Anheuser-Busch InBev (ABI) is another step closer to sealing its pending $107 billion acquisition of SABMiller. Seeking to satisfy international regulatory concerns, ABI has agreed to sell SABMiller’s 49% stake in China Resources Snow Breweries to joint venture partner China Resources Beer, which already holds the other 51%, for $1.6 billion. The mostly sub-premium Snow beer brand, which dominates China’s market, sells roughly 106 million hectoliters annually, more than double the total of ABI’s Bud Light, which is the world’s next-largest beer brand at about 52 million hectoliters. ABI is also among the leading brewers in China—the world’s biggest beer market by far—with a 16% share. The China Resources transaction is expected to close in conjunction with ABI’s deal for SABMiller, and is contingent on the larger deal going through.

•Edrington Group has unveiled a new ultra-high-end expression of its Macallan single malt, a 65-year-old Scotch whisky bottled in Lalique crystal. The sixth and final release in the brand’s series of Lalique-bottled whiskies, Macallan’s 65-year-old is its oldest offering to date. Of 450 decanters released globally, 140 have been earmarked for the U.S., retailing at $35,000 apiece.

•Campari America has added to Skyy Vodka’s Infusions flavor range with the launch of Honeycrisp Apple and Tropical Mango. The new Skyy flavors will be available beginning this spring in 50-ml. ($1.99), 750-ml. ($13.99), 1-liter ($16.99) and 1.75-ml. ($19.99) formats. Campari says Skyy Infusions—also including Citrus, Coastal Cranberry, Texas Grapefruit and Pacific Blueberry, among others—grew 5.9% by volume and 3% by value in IRI channels for the 52 weeks ending January 30.

•Binny’s Beverage Depot is planning two additional locations, bringing its total store count to 34. The company has signed a 20-year lease for a 31,000-square-foot space in a former grocery store in the Chicago suburb of Niles, which will feature a 12-foot bottle sign that recently received village zoning approval. A smaller store will be located in a former bank building at 900 W. Irving Park Road in Chicago’s Portage Park neighborhood. Both stores are expected to open later this year.

•Jim Clerkin, president and CEO of Moët Hennessy North America, has been named chairman of the Distilled Spirits Council of the U.S. (DISCUS), succeeding Gerry Ruvo, who has served in the position since 2013. DISCUS also re-elected Kraig Naasz as president and Michael Rudy (associate general counsel, Sidney Frank Importing Co.) as treasurer.

•Southern Wine & Spirits has announced two key appointments within its Florida division. Effective immediately, Gene Sullivan has been named executive vice president, general manager of SWS-Florida, succeeding John Wittig, who was previously named Eastern Region president of the future Southern Glazer’s Wine & Spirits. Sullivan was previously EVP, general manager of the Coastal Wine & Spirits division in Florida. Meanwhile, Ernie Castro will become vice president, general manager of Coastal Wine & Spirits-Florida, replacing Sullivan. Castro most recently helmed the Coastal division’s chain business in the Sunshine State.

Subscribe to Shanken News Daily’s Email Newsletter, delivered to your inbox each morning.

Tagged : , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Get your first look at 2017 data and 2018 projections for the wine and spirits industries. Order your 2018 Impact Databank Reports. Click here.

Previous :  Next :