Exclusive news and research on the wine, spirits and beer business

U.S. Craft Brewers Report Volume, Value Rise For 2013

March 18, 2014

American craft beer volumes were up 18% to 15.6 million barrels in 2013, according to the Brewers Association craft beer trade group. By retail value, craft brewers were up 20% to $14.3 billion, compared to $11.9 billion in 2012. In terms of share, the craft category accounted for around 7.8% of the total U.S. beer market, compared to just 6.5% in 2012, while craft dollar share rose to 14.3% last year. Amid the growth, the number of operating breweries in the U.S. continued to climb in 2013 to 2,822, with 2,768 identifying as craft brewers. The Brewers Association defines a craft brewer as a “small” brewer with an annual production of 6 million barrels or less, an “independent” player with less than 25% of its brewery owned or controlled by a beverage alcohol industry member, and a “traditional” brewer employing traditional or innovative brewing ingredients and techniques.

Subscribe to Shanken News Daily’s Email Newsletter, delivered to your inbox each morning.

Tagged : ,

Get your first look at 2020 data and 2021 projections for the wine and spirits industries. Order your 2021 Impact Databank Reports. Click here.

Previous :  Next :