Exclusive news and research on the wine, spirits and beer business

Craft Brewing and Distilling News for January 30, 2015

January 30, 2015

•Boston’s Harpoon Brewery plans to become 100% employee owned within the next few years. Speaking at the Vermont Employee Ownership Center (Harpoon operates a facility in Windsor, Vermont), co-founder and president Dan Kenary said that after devoting 48% of Harpoon’s shares to an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) in 2013, he hopes to sell the remaining 52% of the company into the plan within the next five to seven years. Harpoon produced more than 750,000 cases of beer last year. Fellow craft brewer New Belgium, based in Colorado, became fully employee owned in 2013, after starting an ESOP in 2000.

•A year ahead of its opening of a new production facility in Virginia Beach, San Diego-based Green Flash Brewing is prepping the local market with a plan to expand its offering and reduce prices in the state. The brewery will cover the cost of shipping its entire craft beer lineup from San Diego. The move is expected to lower prices on Green Flash products in the state by up to 20%. Virginia will also be the only East Coast market to carry six-packs and expanded draft selections from the company. Six-pack offerings from Green Flash include 30th Street Pale Ale, Soul Style IPA and the 2015 Hop Odyssey series, which will be available exclusively in Virginia on the East Coast. The benefits are planned to extend to the entire East Coast eventually.

Subscribe to Shanken News Daily’s free Email Newsletter, delivered to your inbox each morning.

Subscribe to Shanken News Daily’s Email Newsletter, delivered to your inbox each morning.

Tagged : , , ,

Get your first look at 2020 data and 2021 projections for the wine and spirits industries. Order your 2021 Impact Databank Reports. Click here.

Previous :  Next :