Exclusive news and research on the wine, spirits and beer business

Pasqua USA Adds To Brand Stable, Eyes Upmarket Expansion

March 31, 2016

With its portfolio rising in the U.S. market, Verona-based Pasqua Winery is looking to branch into higher pricing tiers. In line with that strategy, the company’s Pasqua USA subsidiary is taking on its first agency brand, Lugana producer Cà Maiol, owned by the Contato family, with winemaking overseen by Michel Rolland. Pasqua will initially import three Cà Maiol wines—two Trebbiano-based whites and a rosé—retailing from $30 and up.

Chief executive Riccardo Pasqua tells SND that further upmarket development is in the works, including a potential foray into spirits. Meanwhile, Pasqua’s namesake brand (handled by Carolina Wine Brands USA) and its Passimento label (imported by Pasqua USA) continue to make marked gains. Passimento, the primary growth driver, retails at $15-$20 a 750-ml. and was extended with a Bianco offering late last year, which joined its existing red blend. Launched in 2014, Passimento sold 1.2 million bottles worldwide last year, with the U.S. representing about one-third of the total. Overall, Pasqua’s annual U.S. volume is now between 250,000-300,000 cases, with sales up 30% year-to-date.

Pasqua says the family-owned company will be more nimble and aggressive moving forward following a recent consolidation of ownership. In February, Riccardo and his father Umberto bought out other family members to acquire a 76% stake in the group, with Umberto’s brother Carlo holding the remaining 24%.

Subscribe to Shanken News Daily’s Email Newsletter, delivered to your inbox each morning.

Tagged : ,

Get your first look at 2020 data and 2021 projections for the wine and spirits industries. Order your 2021 Impact Databank Reports. Click here.

Previous :  Next :