Exclusive news and research on the wine, spirits and beer business

American Craft Spirits Reach 13 Million Cases and Nearly 5% of U.S. Spirits Market

December 9, 2022

Last year, the U.S. craft spirits market grew to over 13 million cases, rising 10.4%, according to data presented by the American Craft Spirits Association and Park Street. In addition, craft spirits were up 12.2% in value, reaching $7.5 billion. The data, presented as part of the Craft Spirits Data Project (CSDP) at the ACSA’s Annual Craft Spirits Economic Briefing, also showed that craft spirits represented nearly 5% of the overall spirits market by volume and 7.5% by value, both showing modest gains over 2020.

With craft spirits seeing growth across the U.S., the number of distillers entering the market continues to rise, as new players try their hand at production. In 2021, there were 2,687 craft distillers in the U.S., a 17.4% rise over 2020, with California, New York, Texas, Pennsylvania, and Washington leading the way with the most craft distilleries. According to the CSDP’s data, craft distilleries do a slight majority—53.3%—of their business in their tasting rooms and home states, with the remaining 46.7% of their sales shipped to other states and countries. Though building from a small base, international exports jumped 58% last year to 164,000 cases.

Subscribe to Shanken News Daily’s Email Newsletter, delivered to your inbox each morning.

GET YOUR FIRST LOOK AT 2021 DATA AND 2022 PROJECTIONS FOR THE WINE AND SPIRITS INDUSTRIES. ORDER YOUR 2022 IMPACT DATABANK REPORTS. CLICK HERE.

Previous :  Next :